- What are FELOs?
- High profile FELO cases
- FELO cases in Korea and China
- Qoros – a Chinese car manufacturer built with foreign executives
- Huawei – internationalisation with foreign executives
- Strategies – Why China’s Xiaomi and Huawei recruit foreign executives
- FELOs researched in Malaysia
- Research participants speak about FELOs
- Typologies: What types of foreign executives are appointed by local organisations and what types of organisations appoint them?
- Case study illustrates two of four types of foreign executives in local organisations
- Differences: Foreign executives compared to other types of expatriates
- Confusion over inpatriates
- Self-initiated expatriates (SIE)
- Further Reading
- Research Findings
- Differences between FELOs and expatriates, inpatriates, transpatriates
- Why do local organisations appoint foreign executives?
- Why are FELO positions not filled with local executives?
- What FELOs contribute to local organisations
- How is cultural distance bridged in FELO affiliations?
- The unique ‘in/out group’-status of FELOs
- FELOs and corruption
- FELO income levels and local perceptions
- FELOs’ heightened exposure to local scrutiny
- FELOs and ‘brain drain’
- Host-country involvement of FELOs
- External and internal bridging roles of FELOs
- FELOs and glass ceilings in local organisations
- ‘Fix it’ roles of Type 1 FELOs may include ‘hatchet jobs’ and becoming a ‘scapegoat’
- The career-paths and -risks of FELOs
- Typology of foreign executives appointed by local organisations
- Typology of local organisations appointing foreign executives
Find it at FELO research:
Please establish contact if: —
* you represent an organisation that wishes to participate in further research on the FELO phenomenon
* you represent a local organisation and want to understand what can be gained from FELOs
* you are a FELO, and want to participate in further research on the FELO phenomenon
* you have been a FELO in the past, and want to offer your personal FELO experience
* you work or have worked with a FELO, and want to offer your personal perspective
Write to: FELO research[at]gmail.com
All information is treated in accordance with the principles outlined in the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research, and the Privacy Act 1988. Personal information will not be disclosed to third parties. Data collected for research will only be reported in aggregate form, meaning that you will not be identifiable.
Keywords:Academy of Management advantage of foreignness cultural distance degree of internationalisation degree of internationalization expatriate FELO foreign CEO foreign executive host country national liability of foreignness local company local executive local organisation local organization local spouse